Friday, January 3, 2014

Blogging, once again...

It's been awhile...I know I am super slacking.

A lot has happened, it like the two years, since blogging.  Lets just chopped it up to I was just too busy (and not lazy).  If I can't do it on my phone...then normally it doesn't get done, which applies to blogging also. Its sad, really, because I kind of enjoy it.

HOWEVER, the reason I am writing now is to talk about my "Good Deed Advent Calendar" my family did this year.  I've had a few requests to write down what we did over the course of 25 days, the 25 days worth of good deeds.  I wanted to also explain why I did it.

It did start a few years ago, when a friend of mine did a good deed calendar for the holidays.  Super cool idea...put it in the back of my mind...then promptly forgot about it.

This year I have a friend who has done it the last couple of years, seeing how awesome it was I decided that this year was the year.  The kids are young, this I know, however if we start young it will almost become a second part of them. 

There is just so much, well lets say, crap in this world.  I fear for my children and others.  Why can't we just be kind to one another?  I just don't understand.  That's why I did this.  Its time for some good in the world.

There are a few things noting here before I start:
-Each family is different, you may or not be able to do what we did.
-No matter how young or old, they can benefit from this
-Remember, you can always do kind deeds for family members.
-Sometimes the smallest deed does the longest way
-Pick a charity that is close to your heart and that you are super passionate about.
-If you skip a day, its OK!  Double up one day, not a big deal!
-A candy cane can make someone's day
-Take photos so you can remember what you did that year.
-Stress the importance of the good deeds to your children.  Talk about it.  Don't be afraid to let them ask questions.  And if they have an idea, LISTEN TO THEM.  Children have such pure, kind hearts.
-Consider making or finding a tag that says "random acts of kindness" and attach to the deed you are doing.  Through this I have realized people do NOT expect this and wonder whats going on.  This helps and you don't have to sit and explain it.

Here we are....The Cross Family Good Deed Calendar.
day one. make and mail Christmas cards to service men and women. 

day two. tape microwaveable popcorn to a redbox.

day three. do an extra chore for your sibling

day four. make cards for out of state family and mail them.

day five. each child gets $10 to go grocery shopping.  they pick out the food.  kids get to see how much/less money goes in order to buy food.  we then will take the food to the local food bank.

day six. go to the YMCA and pick out a giving tree tag.  buy a gift card for the child.

day seven.  hand out candy canes, randomly to strangers, at a community event (ours was snow day at church)

day eight. invite a family friend to dinner at our house.  you get to host the dinner.

day nine. buy a travel mug and gift card for the principal and your teacher (did with a friend)

day ten.  donuts to the office ladies at school (done with a friend)

day eleven. buy and donate dog treats to a local animal shelter

day twelve. make a pinecone bird feeder.  don't forget the birds!

day thirteen. make a video asking for crayon donations for children's hospital.

day fourteen. take hot chocolate to a salvation army ringer.

day fifteen. take candy canes and thank you cards to the staff at our church.

day sixteen. make a nice card and give it with chocolates to the mailman.

day seventeen. make goodies for the neighbors. deliver them ding dong ditch style!

day eighteen. make a nice card and give it with chocolates to the UPS man.

day nineteen. deliver the crayons to children's.

day twenty. deliver treats to the fire station.

day twenty one. buy a gift card and ask cashier to use it on somebody behind you.

day twenty two. buy a gift for your sibling.

day twenty three. make a trip to the retirement home.

day twenty four. make cards for the 'best Christmas lights' go and look Christmas lights and give your award to your favorite.

day twenty five. exchange your gifts.


No comments:

Post a Comment